South Tyneside Sexual Health Update: Friday 10th June
Communications will continue to be circulated following each government announcement to ensure all partner services are updated reflecting any changes to service delivery
In the continuing response to COVID-19 and social distancing guidance:
South Tyneside Sexual Health Updates :
Operating a telephone consultation appointment system for all ages Monday to Friday 08.45- 12:15
Dedicated telephone consultation appointment line open for Young People ( Under 19’s) every Wednesday 15:00 -17:00
Dedicated /protected appointment slots for Young People every Thursday 15:00 - 17:00
Repeat/no issue contraception clinic- operating alongside integrated face to face appointments Mon - Friday 17:00 - 20:00
Please signpost and advise service users the following:
To request a sexual health telephone consultation:
· Please advise service users to call the sexual health appointments line on 0191 4028191 between the hours of 08.45 and 12:15.
· Please advise young people under 19: If unable to contact sexual health services during morning telephone slots, further telephone appointment capacity has been added to support young people in education & home learning between the hours of 15:00 -17:00 every Wednesday afternoon.
· Telephone consultation with South Tyneside Sexual Health will discuss if the patient has symptoms that require urgent care, to request a sexual health test or to book contraception appointments including implants.
· As part of the telephone consultation, patients will be asked to provide their name, address, DOB & telephone number and will receive a call back from the nursing team, usually the same day.
· During each telephone consultation the nursing team will either arrange an appointment for patient to attend clinic, signpost the patient to the online home testing facility, other services, or provide advice on how to self-manage their condition.
We continue to offer digital remote services
Details of online testing / home delivery of condom kits below
Online Home Testing & Condom Kits Available For Home Delivery
We are aware of the inequalities around clinic access and have since have launched an online testing platform to increase access to STI testing during these unprecedented times.
The outbreak of COVID-19 and social distancing guidance have impacted the way many health services operate in regard to patient consultations to minimizing the number of patients on site.
South Tyneside Sexual Health strive to ensure patients have equal availability & continuous access to STI testing & contraceptive methods through this difficult time.
We recognise and are responsive to the changing need of the population and in light of COVID-19, have launched online ordering / testing platforms for South Tyneside residents.
The online home testing kit offers screening for infections such as HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea and is available to order 24 hours a day from the South Tyneside Sexual Health website.
The online test offer is a quick way to test, very discreet and is completely confidential, delivered direct to the specified address when completing the online demographic form.
The home testing kits are delivered in plain packaged envelopes by Royal Mail meaning NHS will not appear on the outside of the envelope.
Kits are sent by standard post meaning that no signature is required and will fit through a standard letter box.
The home test involves providing a blood sample (if a person chooses to be tested for HIV & Syphilis) or a urine or swab sample for Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea testing.
Home testing kits are delivered complete with instruction’s, a freepost return envelope and are posted back to us by standard Royal Mail
This online test offer is available for both male and females over the age of 16+
Please visit our Sexual Health website to order https://www.southtynesidesexualhealth.nhs.uk
Service users requesting home delivery of condom kits:
These can also be ordered direct from our website above and again delivered in plain packaged envelopes.
To order condom kits direct: Please visit https://www.stsft.nhs.uk/services/sexual-health-services/request-condom-pack
Please see attached new service map with details of provision offered from South Tyneside Sexual Health
South Tyneside Sexual Health Services
SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES TIMETABLE
Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea Screening
There were over 5,200 cases of Chlamydia in the region in 2015. Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted infection, often not displaying symptoms. Gonorrhoea cases rose by 8% in the region in 2015, with 1,517 cases.
FREE Testing Kits Here At the Surgery
Pick one up today FREE and send it back in the pre-paid envelope to receive your results within 10 working days.
You can also request a test on line at
For more information please contact:
South Tyneside Sexual Health Service on 0191 4028191 /4028168
or Gateshead Sexual Health Service on 0191 2831575
Providing a range of NHS services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland.