South Tyneside Sexual Health Service Update: Thursday 7th January
In a continued response to COVID-19 and social distancing guidance:
South Tyneside Sexual Health:
- Operating a telephone consultation appointment system for all ages Monday to Friday 08.45- 12:15
- Dedicated telephone consultation appointment line open for Young People ( Under 19’s) every Wednesday 15:00 -17:00
To request a sexual health telephone consultation:
- Please call the sexual health appointments line on 0191 4028168 between the hours of 08.45 and 12:15
- For young people under 19: If unable to contact sexual health services during morning telephone slots, further telephone appointment capacity has been added to support young people in education & home learning between the hours of 15:00 -17:00 every Wednesday afternoon.
- Telephone consultation with South Tyneside Sexual Health will discuss if the patient has symptoms that require urgent care, to request a sexual health test or to book contraception appointments including implants.
- As part of the telephone consultation, patients will be asked to provide their name, address, DOB & telephone number and will receive a call back from the nursing team, usually the same day.
- During each telephone consultation the nursing team will either arrange an appointment for patient to attend clinic, signpost the patient to the online home testing facility, other services, or provide advice on how to self-manage their condition.
Details of online testing / home delivery of condom kits below
Online Home Testing & Condom Kits Available For Home Delivery
We are aware of the inequalities around clinic access and have since have launched an online testing platform to increase access to STI testing during these unprecedented times.
The new online home testing kit, offers screening for infections such as HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea and is available to order 24 hours a day from the South Tyneside Sexual Health website.
This new online offer is a quick way to test, very discreet and is completely confidential, delivered direct to the specified address when completing the online demographic form.
The home testing kits are delivered in plain packaged envelope’s by Royal Mail meaning NHS will not appear on the outside of the envelope.
Kits are sent by standard post meaning that no signature is required and will fit through a standard letter box.
The home test involves providing a blood sample (if a person chooses to be tested for HIV & Syphilis) or a urine or swab sample for Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea testing.
Home testing kits are delivered complete with instruction’s, a freepost return envelope and are posted back to us by standard Royal Mail
This online test offer is available for both male and female’s over the age of 16+
Please visit our Sexual Health website to order https://www.southtynesidesexualhealth.nhs.uk
Service users requesting home delivery of condom kits: These can also be ordered direct from our website above and again delivered in plain packaged envelopes.
To order condom kits direct: Please visit https://www.stsft.nhs.uk/services/sexual-health-services/request-condom-pack
South Tyneside Sexual Health Services continue to operate during the current restrictions relating to Covid-19. Follow the link to their website for more information or to order condom packs and STI test kits
South Tyneside Sexual Health Services from 1st October 2018:
SEXUAL HEALTH SERVICES TIMETABLE
Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea Screening
There were over 5,200 cases of Chlamydia in the region in 2015. Chlamydia is the most common sexually transmitted infection, often not displaying symptoms. Gonorrhoea cases rose by 8% in the region in 2015, with 1,517 cases.
FREE Testing Kits Here At the Surgery
Pick one up today FREE and send it back in the pre-paid envelope to receive your results within 10 working days.
You can also request a test on line at
For more information please contact:
South Tyneside Sexual Health Service on 0191 4028191 /4028168
or Gateshead Sexual Health Service on 0191 2831575
Providing a range of NHS services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland.