South Tyneside Sexual Health Service Virtual Tour
Click the link to watch the video
South Tyneside Sexual Health: Virtual Tour - YouTube
South Tyneside Sexual Health Update: Monday 16th May 2022
Service provision & access
- Clinical training offer in South Tyneside for GP's & Practice Nurses: Long acting reversible contraception ( LARC)
- Access to online services
With the ease of national COVID 19 restrictions:
We are keeping our infection, prevention and control measures in place to keep patients safe during planned care and treatment with us.
Whilst national restrictions have now eased, patients attending our services are still required to wear a face covering or face mask when attending our hospital or community clinics.
We are still maintaining social distancing guidance meaning patients must keep at least a 2-metre distance between themselves and other people at all times where possible and follow any guidance given by our staff.
Provision & Service Access Update
- Operating a Nurse telephone triage appointment system for all ages Monday to Friday 08.45- 12:15
Bookable appointments (no triage needed) for Cervical Screening, straightforward repeat contraception & Asymptomatic GUM.
Call 0191 4028168 to book with our reception team
- Repeat/straightforward contraception appointments- Operating alongside integrated face to face appointments Monday - Thursday 17:00 - 19:20
- Asymptomatic GUM appts are pre-bookable by calling 0191 4028168
To request a sexual health telephone consultation:
- Please advise service users to call the sexual health appointments line on 0191 4028168 between the hours of 08.45 and 12:15.
- Please advise young people under 19: If unable to contact sexual health services during morning telephone slots, further telephone appointment capacity has been added to support young people in education & home learning. Advise young people to call 0191 4028168 to arrange a triage call at a convenient time.
- Telephone triage will discuss if the patient has symptoms that require urgent care, to request a sexual health test or to book contraception appointments including long-acting methods (LARC).
- As part of the telephone triage, patients will be asked to provide their name, address, DOB & telephone number and will receive a call back from the nursing team, usually the same day.
- During each telephone triage the nursing team will either arrange an appointment for the patient to attend clinic, signpost the patient to the online home testing facility, other services, or provide advice on how to self-manage their condition.
Free Long acting reversible contraception (LARC) training in South Tyneside:
South Tyneside Sexual Health Services are now offering free clinical training and assessments for GPs and practice nurses to obtain the FSRH Letter of Competency (LoC) in subdermal implant insertion and removal / insertion of intrauterine contraception.
For further information regarding the LARC training pathway please contact the referral inbox firstname.lastname@example.org
We continue to offer remote digital services:
Online Testing: Available for home delivery
The online home testing kit offers screening for infections such as HIV, Syphilis, Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea and is available to order 24 hours a day from the South Tyneside Sexual Health website.
The online test offer is available for both male and females over the age of 16+
Please visit the South Tyneside Sexual Health website to order South Tyneside Sexual Health Service – Information and services from South Tyneside and Sunderland NHS Foundation Trust Sexual Health Service
Online Condom Scheme:
The online condom scheme is available for both male and females over the age of 16+
To order condom kits direct: Please visit https://www.stsft.nhs.uk/services/sexual-health-services/request-condom-pack
Please see attached new service map with details of provision offered from South Tyneside Sexual Health
South Tyneside Sexual Health Service Map
Chlamydia & Gonorrhoea Dual Screening Programme
This is part of a national screening programme and is for both male and females aged 16 +
The national programme offers screening for Chlamydia only but in the North East patients are screened for both Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea. Only one sample is needed: urine sample for young men and swab for young women (or if postal test a urine sample). You can visit any of the Sexual Health service clinics to do these tests or collect a grab kit.
A Chlamydia test is painless, quick and easy. You will be tested for two infections but you only need to provide one sample. A swab or urine test for females and a urine test for males so you do not need to be examined to take the test. You can carry out the test in the privacy of your own home and then post it back to the Sexual Health clinic by free post.
You will receive a text message which will either tell you that your health check is clear or will ask you to ring a number to discuss the results of your test. Treatment and follow up will be through one of the clinics. If you do not respond to the text message, the Sexual Health clinic will write to you and possibly contact your GP to make sure you get the treatment needed for the infection.
FREE Testing Kits Here at the Surgery
Pick one up today FREE and send it back in the pre-paid envelope to receive your results within 10 working days.
You can also request a test online at
For more information please contact:
South Tyneside Sexual Health Service on 0191 4028191 /4028168
or Gateshead Sexual Health Service on 0191 2831575
Providing a range of NHS services in Gateshead, South Tyneside and Sunderland.